One of the plugins for WordPress that we like is WooCommerce. It’s a nice, free plugin that has a good amount of features for your store. Here are a few start up tips for using WooCommerce.
For this tutorial, any time you see us referring to a link with yoursite.com , just replace yoursite.com with your own site domain and add the rest of the link to it. We’ll have more detailed tutorials for specific things such as setting up product categories, etc.
- Be sure to take time going through the initial set up here, yoursite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wc-settings&tab=general . This is your main setting area. click each tab, and even the submenus in each, and check every setting before you open your store.
- For digital downloads, yoursite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wc-settings&tab=products§ion=downloadable , we choose the X-Accel-Redirect/X-Sendfile . As stated at the WooCommerce site, “This method requires the X-Accel-Redirect/X-Sendfile module be installed and enabled on the server.” They note that this is the most reliable method of delivery.
- Once you’ve set up your settings, you’ll want to set up some Product Categories, if you need these to help in sorting your products. You’ll set up categories here, yoursite.com/wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=product_cat&post_type=product .
- It’s a good idea to set up tags, yoursite.com/wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=product_tag&post_type=product , as that helps users with searches.
- Add a few test products to see how things look, yoursite.com/wp-admin/post-new.php?post_type=product and if using basic tests, be sure to delete these before going live with the store.
- Once you have some products, you might find that you need to add or changes widgets. Do that here yoursite.com/wp-admin/widgets.php .
- If you see that your images don’t look right, you can set the various dimensions at yoursite.com/wp-admin/admin.php?page=wc-settings&tab=products§ion=display .